The Write Group is proud to be associated with other writing and art clubs throughout Alberta, Canada and around the World.
Group: Canadian Authors Association (Alberta Branch)
Where: Open to all Alberta writers
Registration/Fee: $112.50/year or $50 for post-secondary students
Slogan: Writers helping writers since 1921.
CanAuthors Alberta envisions a flourishing community of writers. We connect, inspire, and recognize emerging and established writers through professional development opportunities.
Group: Writers’ Guild of Alberta
Where: Open to all writers who are residents or former residents of Alberta
Registration/Fee: $70/year, $40/year for seniors (age 60+) or free for post-secondary students
Slogan: Representing professional and emerging writers in Alberta.
- The Writers’ Guild of Alberta is a provincial arts service organization that represents both professional and emerging writers in Alberta. We envision an Alberta where past, present, and future contributions of writers are supported, acknowledged, and valued. Our mission is to inspire, connect, support, encourage and promote writers and writing, to safeguard the freedom to write and to read, and to advocate for the well-being of writers.
Group: Writers Foundation of Strathcona County Writers Circle
Where: Strathcona County Library, Birch Room
When: First Tuesday of every month throughout the year, 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm
Registration/Fee: No, Drop-in, No commitment, Optional WFSC membership fee $20/year
Slogan: Supporting writers … any age, any stage of their writing career.
- The Writers Foundation of Strathcona County Writers Circle is a safe workshop setting where members are encouraged to flourish and share their individual voice and writing, no matter genre, format or style. This group encourages fellowship and fosters friendships where the only commitment is to mutually respect one another’s writing. You don’t have to be a member of the Writers Circle or Writers Foundation of Strathcona County to attend. A great way to determine if the WFSC Writers Circle is for you – attend a couple of meetings and check us out! We welcome everyone in whatever capacity you can attend or participate. Even if you just blog or read other’s work and comment online – you are contributing – and are a part of our wonderful, growing group.
Group: Fort Saskatchewan Writers’ Group
Where: Fort Saskatchewan Public Library, Program Room
When: Second and fourth Tuesdays of every month, except July and August, 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm
Registration/Fee: No, Drop-in, No commitment
Slogan: Writing. Support. Creativity
This group is for writers of all stages in their creativity. Come and join fellow writers in a relaxed environment and let the words flow. Drop in. All are welcome.
Group: Stroll of Poets Society
Where: Upper Crust Café and Audreys Books, Edmonton
When: Most Mondays from 7:00 to 9:00 pm (Upper Crust Café) and some Sundays from 2:00 to 4:00 pm (Audreys Books), from September through March
Registration/Fee: $5 door fee at Upper Crust Café, Free at Audreys Books, Optional $25 Society membership
Slogan: An open, democratic community of poets.
- The Stroll of Poets Society is a supportive community of artists that welcomes new and established poets, and friends or fans of poetry, of all ages and all levels of experience. We provide poets with an opportunity to connect with an audience, both through our weekly Poet’s Haven Reading Series and our annual printed anthology. The Poets’ Haven Reading Series is an opportunity for our members to perform their poetry in front of a supportive audience in an atmosphere both friendly and inviting. We also run The Blinks, an evening of rapid-fire, 30-second poetry that regularly kicks off the Edmonton Poetry Festival; and other events and workshops. We publish an anthology that showcases the work of members who have read at a Haven event.
Group: Breath In Poetry Collective
Where: Rouge Lounge and Untitled Bookshop, Edmonton
When: Tuesday evenings at 9 pm (Rouge Lounge) and last Wednesdays from 7:30 pm to 8:30 pm (Untitled Bookshop)
Registration/Fee: $5 on slam nights and free on open-mic nights
- The Breath In Poetry Collective is a group of poetry performers and enthusiasts who volunteer their time to promote spoken word in the Edmonton Area. We facilitate Rouge Slam Poetry nights on a weekly basis, Youth Of Untitled Reading Series on a monthly basis (last Wednesday of every month) and spoken word workshops within Edmonton Public Schools and the University of Alberta. We also collaborate with the Edmonton Poetry Festival, Council of Canadians of African and Caribbean Heritage, The People’s Poets, Solidarity Week and other organizations in other events. Anyone who has original works of poetry is invited to join on a first come first serve basis.
Group: The Alberta League Encouraging Storytelling (TALES)
Where: Varied events
When: Varied events
Registration/Fee: $40/year/individual or organization, $25/year/student
- The Alberta League Encouraging Storytelling (TALES) was established in 1982 as a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting the oral tradition of storytelling. We are storytellers, story listeners, interpreters, speakers, entrepreneurs, writers, teachers, curators, librarians, educators and parents — anyone who celebrates the art of storytelling! TALES Storytellers live all over Alberta and have come from all walks of life. Each teller brings a unique flare to their stories and are extremely passionate about passing on the oral tradition.
Group: Storytellers of Canada (SC-CC)
Where: Varied events
When: Varied events
Registration/Fee: $65/year/individual or organization, $20/year/student
Storytellers of Canada is devoted to connecting people, reflecting culture, and inspiring discovery through the art of Storytelling. SC-CC supports the art of oral storytelling through its storytellers and its story listeners, and functions as the national representative for those involved in maintaining and practising oral traditions in Canada. SC-CC encourages the participation of all peoples, by recognizing storytelling as a common root of all cultures and by making strong, positive efforts towards regional and cultural inclusion.
Invitation to Connect With Us
We welcome other writer and art groups and clubs who wish to network with us. Please email us if you are interested.